I hope you all had a good weekend, especially with the lovely weather yesterday! Just a reminder of our task tomorrow:
Tuesday 16th May- Blaydon Burn- litter pick- 10.30am- We will be joined by Gateshead Council/ Durham Wildlife Trust Volunteers tomorrow. If anybody has waders please bring them along as there is rubbish to be removed from the river itself. Please meet us on site at 10.30am (Black bull entrance) or we can car share from the TRT office at 10am.
I have some more dates for your diary….
- Thursday 25th May-10am- Jesmond Dene- A joint task with Newcastle Council Volunteer Rangers. Please bring along waders/ wellies if you have them!
- Friday 2nd June- Geomorphology workshop with Professor Malcolm Newson- Malcolm has very kindly agreed to run a workshop for us! How exciting! This will be a full day, the morning will be in the ‘classroom’ and then the afternoon will be out on the river. I will send confirmation of the venue soon but this will be held in the Corbridge area, so not far. Numbers will be limited so please let me know if you would like to attend this training day, I have been on a couple of Malcolm’s courses and they are fantastic.
- Monday 26th June- ARMI workshop- This is our Riverfly training course, I still have spaces left for this. If you would be interested in monitoring a burn (convenient to you) in the Tyne catchment, that would be great, all we require is for you to attend this one day course and commit a couple of hours a month to do a kick sample and submit your results. This is a really good way to monitor the health of our local burns and detect if there have been any pollution incidents for example, its also a good excuse to get in the river!
- Tuesday 27th June 10am- Ouseburn Volunteer task day- (details to be confirmed)
- Thursday 29th and Friday 30th June 10.30am- We have balsam bashing planned on both of these days with groups from Greggs at Warden, TRT volunteers are welcome to come along too!
Finally, is there anyone else who would be willing to do a pesticides course so that they can help me to inject and spray Japanese Knotweed and other invasive species, if so please let me know as I will be booking a course very soon, I am hoping to train 6 people this year. The course is two days and then a half day assessment, its really easy I promise!
That’s it for now folks, if you are interested in coming along to any of the above or would like more details just drop me an email. Looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow at Blaydon.
Please note I am out of the office Thursday 18th May and will return on Tuesday 23rd May (I know…part timer!)
Speak to you all soon,
Projects Manager & Volunteer Coordinator